Mpala Research Centre is located on the Laikipia Plateau in north central Kenya, just north of the Equator, northwest of Mt. Kenya. Mpala covers 48,000 acres of savannah and dry woodland habitats and is bordered by Ewaso Ngiro and the Ewaso Narok rivers. Mpala land hosts Mpala Ranch and Mpala Research Centre. We seek dynamic, committed and dedicated individual to work as a research technician under the REDI-NET project. This position is for one year starting end May 2022.
The Remote Emerging Disease Intelligence Network (REDI-NET) is envisioned as a long-term, phased initiative to develop a collaborative network among domestic and international partnering institutions to address surveillance needs to effectively detect, predict and contain potentially emergent zoonosis of human relevance and improve the accuracy and timeliness of the ‘data-to decision’ pipeline. To learn more about the project visit redi-net.nd.edu/
- Plan, prepare and execute routine field sampling (including but not limited to: environmental tick collections, collection of leeches, water, fecal matter and sediment from watering holes), including preparation, maintenance and care of field supplies and equipment.
- Maintain cold-chain field collections and input associated environmental collection data electronically in the field.
- Follow optimized SOPs for sample processing including DNA extractions, cDNA conversions and metagenomic sequencing using the ONT MinION platform.
- Assist with large herbivore tagging and collation of camera trap data as required.
- Assist in data analysis and generating content for quarterly reports.
- Provide guidance and assistance to laboratory / field technicians, students, and others carrying out project related work.
- Assist in organizing sample freezers, and ordering/keeping stock of lab supplies.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Biological Sciences.
- Proven experience in basic molecular biology techniques including generation and QA/QC of DNA/RNA extractions will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in computer knowledge (Microsoft Office) and willingness to learn more.
- Experience working in field situations, familiarity with research protocols and exposure to standard biosurveillance PPE guidelines is preferred.
- Ability to drive.
To apply for this position, please send a single pdf attachment with the subject Research Technician to email@example.com containing:
•A brief introduction of yourself (up to 300 words), stating why you would be a Research Technician with the REDI-NET project.
•Curriculum Vitae (C.V).
•Include your academic/professional certificates.
•Valid driver’s license.
Please send your applications on or before 6th May 2022 only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.