Mpala is located on the Laikipia plateau in north central Kenya, just north of the Equator, northwest of Mt. Kenya. It covers 48,000 acres of savannah and dry woodland habitats and is bordered by Ewaso Ngiro and the Ewaso Narok rivers. The land hosts Mpala Ranch and Mpala Research Centre. We seek to recruit a monitoring and surveillance officer to work at Mpala attached to the wilddog project.
Purpose of the job
To lead project activities relating to monitoring and surveillance, of rabies cases (in people and domestic dogs) and vaccine coverage to inform vaccination planning. Surveillance for incidents of wildlife disease and poisoning in wild carnivores, and monitoring to inform management of human-carnivore conflict
Responsibilities include and are not limited to:
• Oversee the monitoring of rabies cases in people and domestic dogs, including liaison with clinics, hospitals, and communities, and regular compilation of the resulting data.
• Lead the evaluations of vaccine coverage in domestic dogs, to inform ongoing vaccination efforts.
• Manage the collection of data on livestock predation by Community Officers and others, including ongoing case-control studies of livestock husbandry to inform local outreach efforts.
• Help to manage the programme of surveillance for incidents of poisoning and wildlife disease (in partnership with Smithsonian, Lion Landscapes, and others), including assistance with developing surveillance protocols, training rangers, facilitating responses to reported cases, and collating data.
• Assisting where needed with wild dog monitoring.
• Contribute to analysis and reporting of project data.
• Degree in social sciences, Environment, Community Development, Monitoring and Evaluation.
• Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation.
• Report writing is essential.
• Certification in Monitoring & Evaluation will be an added advantage.
• Flexibility to work with the conservancy staff in harsh environments in wild dog monitoring.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Atleast 3 years of field experience
• Prove of leadership will be an added advantage.
To apply for this position, please send a single pdf attachment with the subject Monitoring and Surveillance Officer to email@example.com containing:
1. A brief introduction of yourself.
2. Curriculum Vitae (C.V).
Please send your applications on or before 21st April 2022 only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.