Mpala is located on the Laikipia plateau in north central Kenya, just north of the Equator, northwest of Mt. Kenya. It covers 48,000 acres of savannah and dry woodland habitats and is bordered by Ewaso Ngiro and the Ewaso Narok rivers. The land hosts Mpala Ranch and Mpala Research Centre. We seek a dynamic, committed and dedicated individual to work as a Lab Technician in the Turkana Health Genomics project. The project focuses on the Turkana people of Northern Kenya. This project is a collaboration between Princeton University and Mpala.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Timely collection of biological specimen.
- Ensure the phlebotomy area is clean and request for supplies and equipment needs on a timely basis.
- Screen all blood for viral markers and provide accurate results.
- Carefully handle and label samples.
- Record precise information to track samples through the testing process.
- Liaise with the other lab users on new laboratory procedures to ensure that the laboratory is abreast with the fast-developing technology.
- Arrange workplace with equipment and supplies required for efficient collection of samples.
- Verify equipment function and report faulty equipment for repairs.
- Sample sorting and organization in the freezers.
- Maintain laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems, recommending improvements, establishing priorities, testing and writing & reviewing SoPs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree or a Diploma in medical Laboratory science.
- At least 2 years of phlebotomy experience in a busy environment will be an added advantage.
- Valid and current registration with Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologist board (KMLTTB).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Good communication skills.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
please send a single pdf attachment with the subject Lab Technician -TGHP to email@example.com containing.
- A brief introduction of yourself (up to 300 words),stating why you would be an excellent Lab Technician.
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V).
- Include your academic/professional certificates.
Application will be reviewed as received. The last day of review will be 12th August 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.