Mpala is located on the Laikipia plateau in north central Kenya, just north of the Equator, northwest of Mt. Kenya. It covers 48,000 acres of savannah and dry woodland habitats and is bordered by Ewaso Ngiro and the Ewaso Narok rivers. The land hosts Mpala Ranch and Mpala Research Centre. We seek dynamic, committed and dedicated individual to work as a Lab coordinator under the the Insect-Plant Interaction Lab (IPIL). The IPIL deals with the ecology and evolution of Insects as well as Invasive grasses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensuring quality control in experiment implementation, data collection, analysis and reporting.
- The formulation of experimental designs and protocols as well as their implementation.
- Data collection, collation, analysis and presentation in publications, conferences etc.
- Participating in manuscript development and reviews for publications.
- Provision of technical guidance to a team of four research assistants on projects that deal with the ecology of insects and invasive grass species.
- Facilitation, design and development of lesson plans on the ecology of Insects in the savannah.
- Overseeing the IPIL Princeton University Summer intern’s project field work, data and presentation.
- Enhancing effective collaborations with the various Principle Investigators: ensuring clear, timely communication, logistical considerations and project monitoring.
- Following up on required certifications for sample processing, collections, and exportation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Masters’ degree in environmental science, Entomology, or a related field.
- Statistical literacy and competence with R and/or Python.
- Proficient computer knowledge.
- Experience managing projects with multiple partners, and stakeholders.
- Experience in identification of insects and plants.
- Proven track record of ensuring timely, efficient and successful implementation of project objectives.
- Ability to think strategically, to understand program’s role in larger conservation efforts, and organizational strategic plan and vision.
- Ability to be a team leader, including management of team resources (both financial and human), providing guidance and mentorship and ensuring team’s delivery of goals.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, flexibility, and cultural sensitivity.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please send a single pdf attachment with the subject LAB COORDINATOR to email@example.com, or send hard copies of the documents addressed to the Head Of Human Resource and Administration, P.O. Box 555-10400 Nanyuki on or before 13th May 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- A brief introduction of yourself (up to 300 words),stating why you would be an excellent research coordinator
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V).
- Include your academic/professional certificates.