The Mpala Research Centre board of trustees is searching for a new Executive Director (ED) to lead the organization during a period of strategic growth and expansion. The ED has overall responsibility for the leadership, planning, development, and management of Mpala’s research, education, and community programs, as well as administrative and financial support to fulfill these objectives. The ED’s duties include strategic and scientific leadership, fundraising and revenue generation, stakeholder engagement, external relations and communications, and management oversight.
The Mpala community is grateful to the former Executive Director Dr. Dino Martins, who completed his service on July 31, 2022. We look forward to working with Dr. Martins in his new capacity as Chief Executive Officer of the Turkana Basin Institute(Kenya). Nelly Palmeris, our inaugural Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Director will serve as acting Executive Director until a new director is named.
- Dr. Julien Ayroles, Assistant Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics
- Dr. Helen Gichohi, Ambassador for Conservation for Africa, Fauna and Flora International
- Dr. Aly Kassam-Remtulla, Associate Provost for International Affairs, Princeton University (Committee Chair)
- Kitili Mbathi, Managing Director, Hesabu Capital Kenya and Former Director General, Kenya Wildlife Service
- Dr. Scott Miller, Director, Research Management and Innovation, Smithsonian Institution
- Dr. Geoffrey Mwachala, Chief of Research, National Museums of Kenya
- Dr. Patrick Omondi, Director/CEO, Wildlife Research and Training Institute
- Grace K. Penn, Associate Director for International Affairs and Operations, Princeton University
Earlier in the year, the board issued an RFP for executive search firms to assist in the recruitment process. The board received nine proposals from firms with deep experience working in Kenya. After conducting extensive interviews, the team selected Boyden East Africa, a leading global firm with a strong Kenyan base and network, and knowledge of Laikipia, to assist with the search. The board would like to announce a new ED by November 2022.
The search committee welcomes your input. If you want to nominate a potential candidate or suggest individuals who may be able to recommend candidates, please send us your feedback through this link: