The Digital Media and Education Producer (DMEP) is responsible for assisting us in achieving the overarching vision for Mpala Research Centre in relation to public education and awareness, citizen science and communicating the research and conservation work done at Mpala.
DMEP plays a foundational role in expanding the educational and social media outreach of Mpala. We tell the story of living with wildlife sustainably and our mission is to preserve our wild landscape and inspire a new generation of conservation biologists. We are committed to providing a work environment that encourages innovation, collaboration and professional development.
DMEP will work primarily in our MpalaLive! programme, which is sponsored by explore.org.
1. The producer is responsible for promoting Explore.org and MpalaLive! through social media and other digital media outlets. The producer will work to expand the educational outreach portion of Mpala Live!
2. Provide our sponsor and partner, explore.org with the following on a weekly basis:
- Social Media: Mention explore.org on Facebook and other social media outlets in relation to the live cams.
- Blogging: Provide explore.org with regular blog content, news, and photos to publish to social channels.
- Newsletters: Create campaigns monitor newsletter with Mpala news and promos.
- Live Chats: Schedule, facilitate live chats with experts in the field and cross promote with Explore’s social media team.
- Assets: Provide snapshots, Mpala photos, video highlights.
3. Create and post digital media in all social media outlets for Mpala.
4. Build out Mpala’s YouTube channel, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Periscope, and Facebook page. Many assets already exist. Producer would use those as a foundation and create more.
5. Work to expand mpalalive.org’s Field Guide and Stories from the Bush.
6. Expand the educational outreach program of MpalaLive!
- Producer will work to expand the lesson plans and activities in the Classroom section.
- Producer will help to build out the interactive classroom on mpalalive.org working closely with Northern Kenyan Conservation Clubs.
1. Combine good communications skills with technical knowledge
2. Prefer associate’s or bachelor’s degree program in media arts, communications, journalism, film/television, production, Literature/English/Writing or other related field
3. Proficiency in content management systems (CMS), especially Express Engine
4. Ability to shoot and edit video, photo and audio
5. Ability to use provided analytics tools, to create and generate focused metrics and reports on social media content impact
6. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite for video and photo editing
7. Outstanding content creation and editorial skills
8. Familiarity with all social media outlets, especially Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Periscope, and Instagram
9. Enthusiasm for conservation education outreach and demonstrated interest in educational programs
Apply for this position
1. Send a single PDF attachment (filename format: lastname_firstname_date.pdf) with:
– A cover letter that includes a statement of interest
– Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
– Media Council Accreditation
2. Contact information for three references
3. Provide links to your most recent published work in either or all of the formats listed;
– Video stories (with credits shown)
– Print or digital stories with by line
4. Provide a written, 350 word personal statement.
5. Provide links to your social media profiles including: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
Send a single email with the above information to email@example.com. Applications will be received until the position is filled. ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.